DESCRIPTION AND HISTORY
The Nalanda Buddhist Education Foundation was established on November 5th ,1976, thirty years ago. This foundation saw the lacking of Buddhist teachers in Indonesia, so the founders had an idea to established NALANDA Buddhist College,The first Buddhist College in Indonesia in 20th Century. The Nalanda Buddhist College educated some students to be a Buddhist teacher. Besides that, we supported financial demand of the Buddhist teachers in some Buddhist Schools.
The foundation have vision to develop the good education and teaching system in the Buddhist society, especially, and for develoment in education sector in Indonesia. To reach this vision we have some mission that we have to develop such as collecting donation, give financial support to Buddhis teachers, establish Buddhist college and Schools, give scholarship to Buddhist students, establish Buddhist library and Buddhist Publisher.
At the First time we hold Nalanda Buddhist College, we didn’t have any building to teach Budddhist Education. Because of the kindness of Gandhi Memorial School, they helped us by allowing to use one of the class rooms. We used the Gandhi Memorial for several years till we decided to have our own building. We bought a small three storeys building in Kramat Raya 64, Jakarta Pusat ,with the land area of 212 m2, in 1986. The bulding was bought by installment, the fund was provided by Buddhist and non Buddhist.The building was used not only for lectures and administration of the college but also as dormitory for students. The college provide dormitory for students for the first 2 years, after that the students should leave and they have to rent room nearby the college.
Most of the students come from rural area or small city around Indonesai, they are simple family, even some of them can not afford to pay tuition fee. Most of the students have to work to support their cost of living and all of his/her expenses, because the support from the family is not enough. Every year between 25 to 30 students enroll, this amount of students is not big enough to cover all the cost and expenses of the college activities, we could not implement high tuition fee, so we always have deficit cash flow and this deficit is funded by all donation from the Buddhist and non Buddhist, Department of Religion of Republic Indonesia.
We used the building in Kramat for all activities of Nalanda Buddhist College until 2004, the building is not big enough anymore for all the activities and dormitory. In 2003 we received a 5,000 m2 piece of land from very kind family Mr. Siwie Honoris. We also received a donation from Mr. Paulus Tumewu and family a 4 storeys building with the total area 2,100 m2 built in the 5,000 m2 land. We have big campuss and we also have problem with the increase cost and expenses, all kind of expenses increase such as electricity, honorarium and salary, tax, phone, maintenance etc.
The Programme of Nalanda Buddhist College consists of a core curriculum to produce Buddhist Teachers. Our curriculum consists of Tipitaka, (Vinaya, Sutta, Abhidhamma), Meditation, English, Pali, Social, Mahayana Buddhism, Indonesian Language, Phsychology, Evaluation of education, Phsychology of education, and some subjects.
We also give non compulsory subjects such as computer, accounting, entrepreunership, Chinese langusge as subjects that could support the students in the society.
We have 156 credit points for the student.
Core Curriculum in Nalanda Buddhist College.
1.Pancasila (2 points)
2. Indonesian Language ( 2 points)
3. Development of Pschology ( 2 points)
4. Desaign of Learning ( 4 points)
5. Strategy of Learning ( 4 points)
6. Evaluation of Learning ( 4 points)
7. Micro Teaching ( 2 points )
8. Practice of Teaching ( 2 points)
9. History of Buddhism in the world ( 2 points)
10. Principle of Buddhism ( 4 points)
11. History of Buddha Gotama ( 4 points)
12. Sutta Pitaka ( 12 points )
13. Vinaya Pitaka ( 6 points)
14. Abhidhamma Pitaka (10 points)
15. Samadhi ( 6 points )
16. Mahayana ( 8 points )
18. English ( 6 points)
17. Pali Language ( 6 points )
19. English Buddhism ( 2 points)
20. Philosophy ( 4 points)
21. Principle Of Education ( 4 points )
22. Scription ( 6 points )
23. Principle Of Science ( 2 points )
24. General Of Phsycology ( 2 points )
25. Education Of Pschology ( 4 points )
26. Seminar ( 2 points )
27. Development of Students ( 2 points )
28. Counseling & Guidance ( 2 points )
29. History Buddhism in Indonesia ( 2 points )
30. Anthology of Selecta Topics ( 2 points)
The students need at least 4 years, to get Bachelor Degree. They not only study theory, but they must practice 10 days vipassana meditation retrets, practice teaching. Up to 2005, we have had 300 graduates in Bachelor Degree programme . Most of the students teach Buddhism in the Buddhist school, children class in the temple and Cetya when they are studying in Nalanda and this activity is a teaching practice before they are really become the Buddhism teacher.
When they graduate, almost all students in Nalanda teach Buddhism in Buddhist School, college and university as a teacher, some of them become civil employee in the government institution especially in Religion Department and Education Department of The Republic of Indonesia, member of temples and Buddhist Organisation etc.
To utilize the building or campuss, The Nalanda Buddhist Foundation established “Nalanda” Senior High School in 2005. This senior high school was established as one of our mission in education sector. We also hope that this senior high school, in term of fund, will support the deficit of the college in next four to five years because the market for senior high school students are more bigger than the college. Currently the operations of the school is still deficit. We give conditions for students who want to continue their study in Nalanda Buddhist College.
The Nalanda Buddhist Education Foundation always give financial support to Nalanda Buddhist College and Nalanda Senior High School, currently the foundation should support Rp.150,- million to Rp.200,- million per year.
The members of Buddhist Education Foundation :
Chairman : Suyanto Handoko, S.E.
Secretary : Ir. Susi Martani
Treasurer : Dra. Nurjani Chandra
Lecturer in Nalanda Buddhist College :
Jo Priastana, M.Hum. ( Chairman .)
Yuriani, M.Pd. ( 1st Vice Chairman,curriculum,)
Lauw Acep, S.Ag. ( 3rd Vice Chairman, students)
Yeni Harianto, M.Pd.( Head of Dhamma Cariya Section)
Cornelis Wowor , M.A.(Head of Dhammaduta Section)
Mettadewi W, S.H.,S.Ag.(Head of Academic Section)
Ariya K W, B.A.
Dra.Indah P R
Indrawati Setiawan, S.Ag. M.M.
Made Wilantara, S.Ag.
Mulyadi Wahyono, S.H., M.Hum.
Ratna Surya Widya, dr., Sp.K.J.
Ven. Sukhemo, M.A.
Tatang Bachtiar , B.A.
Willie Japaris, dr., MARS.
Ven Xian Bing , M.A.
Ven Xian Xing , S.S.
Chen Cau Ming
VISSION OF NALANDA BUDDHIST EDUCATION
Created the Nalanda Buddhist Education as a certain Institute of education and be based central study that has a certain Quality to increase prosperity of the society and to develop the mentality of the nation.
MISSION OF THE NALANDA BUDDHIST EDUCATION
- Increase image and cooperation the institutional.
- Develop the professionalism in education
- Produce Buddhist Teachers that has high moral standarts, and have responsibility.
- Thinking, saying dan doing according to The Dhamma
- Brave to maintain the rightness
- Facing the problem prudently
- Honest, discipline, cooperative, and has acourteous approach
The basic requirements that needed to develop the institution :
- Money to run some programmes
- Medium to study, as OHP, LCD, Computer, etc.
- Buddhist Teachers that has a certain Quality.
- Legality and accreditation
The Stregths and the promoter opportunity of the institution :
- Nalanda is the first Buddhist College in Indonesia.
- Nalanda had has privately owed building
- Campus Nalanda has built in the sold with area 5000 meters
- Nalanda also get confident from the society because Nalanda always produce graduates that has a certain quality.
- Most graduates of Nalanda’s Buddhist Education has work in several Goverment Institution.
The role of the human academic in the development of international Cooperation accompany to the world Buddhist education :
- Exchanged of the students
- Scholarship for the students that has performance.
- Keep the relationship beetwen the students and the teachers, and also with students or teachers in another institution.
- Journal academic
- Research Projects
The Activities of the Students Executive Organization :
- Celebrate Buddhist holiday, as Vaisaka, Maghapuja, Kathina, Asadha.
- Establised seminar and invite resource person that has experience, for example seminar of Dhammaduta , seminar of the acceptance new students, and etc.
- Social Activities,
- Sport, as Volley Ball, Foot Ball, and Basket Ball.
- Visiting another Institution for inspection.
- Cooperation with another Buddhist Organization
- Public speaking training
Basket ball tournament, 10 – 17 Februari 2007
Seminar at Nalanda Building, Mr. Jo Priasthana, M.Hum (chairman) asked a question
Morning activities, sport
Chanting for Ven Win Mahathera
Independence Day, August 17th, 2006